Spicy Orange Beef made with juicy and tender slices of steak coated in an orange garlic-ginger sauce in just 30 minutes! Hints of orange and a touch of heat dress up a classic combination. This stir-fry is a good weekday dinner recipe.
No need to buy Chinese take out when it’s so quick and easy to make at home. This Spicy Orange Beef has a delicious flavor all its own and without a heavy coating of breading.There are three classic cooking methods for most takeout Chinese food. First is deep fried food with a breading like Sweet and Sour Chicken. Second is a pan fry with a cornstarch coating to keep the food crispy but without the breading like in this recipe. Third is your classic stir fry.
If you’ve ever wondered how Chinese food recipes get a crisp coating without the breading, the magic is usually a soak in soy sauce that is then coated in cornstarch. When the cornstarch is fried it gets very crispy and btw, delicious! My family enjoyed this recipe The sauce gets a rich flavor from the browned beef, and the orange marmalade really brightens the sauce. I reduced the red pepper flakes in the recipe below because it was too spicy for my family, and we like things spicy. If your family doesn’t like it very spicy, I would reduce it to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Some tips and tricks:
- If you don’t want to use orange marmalade you can swap out for some orange juice and zest.
- Don’t cook the steak for too long, it will get tough. High heat for a very short period of time on each side.
- Don’t crowd the pan. The beef needs to get crisp and if you add it at one time it’ll steam and get gummy instead.
- If you want a richer deeper sesame flavor, add a teaspoon of sesame oil in with the orange juice.
Here’s your go-to, foolproof, Spicy Orange Beef recipe you’ll never want to be without.
spicy orange beef recipe
- 1 lb boneless round beef steak
- 2 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 tbsp orange peel (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (crushed)
- 4 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
Rinse and drain beef steak.Trim all excess fat and cut into thin strips.
- In a bowl, combine cornflour, beef broth, soy sauce, vinegar, orange marmalade, salt and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Place beef strips in the pan. Stir-fry for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in ginger garlic paste and orange peel. Keep Stirring. Cook for 2 minutes then add broth mixture in it. Stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce is thickened. Spicy Orange Beef is ready to to serve.
Enjoy this quick and easy spicy orange beef dish over rice.
Want More Chinese Food Recipes?
Put your own spin on it. And lemme know how it turns out. Post a photo on Facebook (Recipestable) or on Twitter so I can see how lovely yours turn out.
Leave a Reply