Very Veggie Box patties, the name itself rings in your ear, doesn’t it?
You must be wondering is it a box or a patty 😉
The unique and interesting name is because of the way the these patties are folded and made, like wrapping a box. A savory veggie filling is put inside samosa wrappers and then deep fried.
So what exactly are Very Veggie Box Patties?
If you are not familiar with box Patties, they are a deep-fried Pakistani pastry snack usually filled with something savory. They are called box patties because their shape resembles a square box which is made by overlapping two samosa wrapper sheets. They are loved all throughout the year but they become almost a staple in every household during Ramadan on the Iftar tables.
Ingredients in This Very Veggie Box Patties?
Not only are these simple to make (they require nothing more than few veggies, seasoning and samosa sheets), but the stuffing possibilities are endless!
- Veggies: I used carrots, green peas, sweet corn, capsicum, boiled potatoes, cabbage.
- Olives: Green and Black Olives
- Seasoning: Black pepper, red Pepper flakes, salt
- Sauce: red chili Sauce and soy sauce
How to Make this Veggie Box Patties:
This Very Veggie Box Patties recipe is so easy to make and simple that definitely it’s worth trying.
- Prepare the Filling: I start off with sautéing veggies to which I add boiled green peas, potatoes, carrot, capsicum, cabbage and sweet corn and olives. Then season it with salt, black pepper, red chili flakes, soy sauce and for an extra kick red chili sauce .
2. Prepare the Box Patties: Then put two samosa sheets in a cross pattern, one over the other so they make a + (plus) sign. Then put some veggie filling in the middle. Fold each of the edges one by one over each creating a parcel.
3. Frying: Then deep fry on medium flame till crispy and golden. You can fry these in advance and keep them in the oven on warm mode and serve when required.
Can I play around with the filling?
Yes, you can! In this recipe, I have used vegetables carrot, cabbage, capsicum, corn and olives. Some options that I suggest are:
- For a meaty version use chicken or beef instead of veggies or use shredded cottage cheese (paneer) instead of meat for a vegetarian option. Just make sure that the protein in the filling is cooked through. As the box patties are only fried for a few minutes, I wouldn’t suggest to put raw meat.
- Skip the vegetables, or add more vegetables. Such as French beans carrots, black olives, green chilies, mushrooms or broccoli.
- If you are using large vegetables like broccoli or carrots, make sure they are finely chopped. Pulsing them in the processor for a few seconds will work.
- Add some taco seasoning for a Mexican twist or experiment with other spice blends. 😛
- To give a different taste to the patties box, you can also add pizza seasoning or Oregano and Chili Flakes to the vegetable stuffing.
Other variations to this Very Veggie Box Patties?
- Healthy Alternative: These square shaped patties are filled with a flavorful veggie filling. The chewiness of the veggie stuffing and the crunchiness of the covering, is a delicious combination. There are two options, baking or frying. If you do not like oil, you can bake it in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Deep frying obviously gives best results but they can also be baked or air-fried.
- Wrappers: If you do not get samosa sheets , then cut the spring roll sheets into strips. The trimmings you can fry and keep them to garnish your soups or salads.
- Extra Crispness: For extra crispiness, roll them with Bread Crumbs before frying.
Can I freeze them?
- Grease a tray (can be plastic or a baking tray) and lay out the box patties one by one on it, making sure there is space between each one of them.
- Keep them in the freezer for an hour or so till they are partially frozen. Once they are frozen, carefully remove them from the tray and place them in a plastic box or zip lock bags.
- To make the box patties, just take them out of the freezer, thawed and deep fry on medium heat until crispy and golden brown.
- This recipe actually makes a large batch that can be easily frozen and is just the thing to have on hand for impromptu guests or if you are in the mood for a light snack to enjoy with your evening tea.
Bismillah let’s get started.
Check it out Very Veggie Box Patties Recipe and printable version here!!
Want more Tea Time Snack Inspiration?
Here are some other Snack recipes on my blog:
- Noodles Pakora (An Instant Snack)
- Seekh Kebab Pizza Bites Recipe (A Flavorful Desi Twist)
- Bakery Style Chicken Mayo Sandwiches Recipe
- Chicken Shashlik Sticks Recipe
- Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe
- Hot and Spicy Kebab Paratha Roll Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Cheese Balls Recipe
- Chicken Finger Sandwiches Recipe
Hope that you all enjoy this one as much as we have! Cheers!
Pin it for Later:
What are your favorite Tea Time Snacks? Leave me a comment below to inspire my next snack recipe!