Who needs takeout when homemade tastes better and you’re in control of the ingredients. Next time when you crave Chinese food, instead of take-out, make this quick, easy and Incredibly delicious hot and sour noodles. Perfect comfort food and a a hearty meal, full of veggies, egg noodles and fried chicken, that’s ready in under 30 minutes!
This Hot and Sour Noodles Recipe makes a bright and healthy dinner for a small family. There are layers and layers of flavors in these easy noodles that are ready in 30 minutes. Soy sauce, hot pepper sauce, vinegar, ginger- garlic, red chili and tomato sauce coat the noodles beautifully. They’re hot and sour with a very subtle heat from the ginger and hot pepper sauce. Fried Chicken, Onion, Capsicum add texture and crunch. Olives and tomato add bright color.
I love the hot, spicy, salty, savory, garlicky and the slippery noodles. It’s all about the combination of textures and flavors — there’s tangy sauces, crispy fried Chicken, zesty vegetables, salty Egg noodles and chili flakes for heat.
These noodle bowls are a lightning fast dinner that the whole family is sure to enjoy. They are surprisingly easy to make from scratch, and you don’t need to worry about the questionable sodium ingredients that are listed in the store bought version.
What makes hot and sour Noodles HOT?
The heat in this hot and sour noodles comes from red pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce. The noodles has to be on the hotter side. The sourness comes from adding vinegar right at the end. If you add the vinegar in the beginning or towards the middle, the vinegar will evaporate during cooking. Which is why we add the vinegar right at the end.
These noodles will be your new go-to. Take it to work for lunch, take it to cookouts, make it for your family dinner. Trust me – you’ll knock their socks off with this one.
Bismillah let’s get started.
Ingredients in Hot and Sour Noodles?
This Hot and Sour Noodles recipe is quick, requires few ingredients and is great for those days when you don’t have a lot of time to cook. The list of ingredients is so simple – red chilli flakes, ginger, garlic, onion, capsicum, tomato, chicken, soy sauce, hot pepper sauce, vinegar and egg noodles of course. These are things that are probably already in your pantry so its a quick and easy dinner to make which is ready in under 30 minutes. Perfect for last minute dinners!
How to make the Restaurant Style Hot and Sour Noodles (step by step instructions):
However, in order to get the restaurant like taste and texture it needs to be cooked in a certain way and this step by step recipe of Hot and Sour noodles explains it with photos and detailed instructions. The tips and serving ideas given after directions will also help you avoid some common mistakes which can ruin the dish.
Check it out Hot and Sour Noodles Recipe and printable version here!!
Restaurant Style Hot and Sour Noodles Recipe
- 1/2 packet Egg Noodles boiled
- 1 medium onion cut into cubes
- 1 large tomato de-seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 green bell pepper shimla mirch, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
Ingredients for Marination:
- 250 gm boneless chicken cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper crushed
- salt to taste
Ingredients For Sauce:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoon hot pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- salt and Pepper to taste
- chili flakes optional
- black olives optional
- Cut all vegetable into cubes and keey aside. Then cut the chicken into cubes and marinate with ginger garlic paste, egg white, Cornflour, soy sauce, chili sauce, vinegar, red pepper and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles for 5-7 minutes, until they reach desired consistency. Drain the noodles. Rinse in a bowl of cold water and drain again. Keep aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in wok or large frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Fry marinated chicken pieces for 8-10 minutes or until cook from inside and golden brown from outside.
- Remove from the oil and keep aside.
- Now saute chopped ginger garlic in the remaining oil for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add half cup of water, hot pepper sauce, soy sauce, and chili flakes. Let it simmer for 2 minutes or until all water dries up.
- Add the onion and keep stirring on high flame. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add capsicum and stir fry together for 1 minute then add tomato and turn the heat on high.
- Add the tomato ketchup and vinegar, continue to stir fry for 1 minute.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and add fried chicken.
- Toss in the noodles,breaking up the clumps as you drop them in and continue to stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of water and let it steam up through the ingredients ,helping to cook the veg and to warm the noodles through.
- Remove the pan from the heat.Sprinkle some chili flakes over it and top up with olives.
- Serve up straight away to appreciate the kick. ENJOY!!
- To make non-sticky noodles, do not overcook them in step-2. Cook them until they are cooked but not mushy. Do not forget to pour cold water over noodles after cooking to remove excess starch.
- This is my absolute favorite ingredients combination, but feel free to use any vegetables or protein that you have on hand. Instead of chicken, you can use firm tofu to make it vegetarian. You can also use prawns or thinly sliced beef.
- As for the vegetables, don’t omit the crispy onion and capsicum. For variation, add baby corns, red and yellow capsicum, mushrooms or any other vegetables of your choice.
- You can use either green chilli sauce or hot pepper sauce sauce per your preference. Hot Pepper sauce sauce will help you get the typical restaurant color.
- Adjust quantity of hot sauce and soy sauce per your taste. Do not add more soy sauce as it tastes bitter and it will change the taste of noodles.
- All vegetables and noodles must be tossed over over high-flame to get restaurant like taste and texture.
- This dish is not very good after reheating because the noodles absorb the sauce and become mushy and the whole dish is just a little dry. If you want to make it ahead, store the sauce separately and combine only before serving.
Other versions of this dish:
- If you‘d rather have a sweet and sour chicken with noodles, check out this recipe: Sweet and Sour Chicken with Noodles, served on noodles.
- For a desi twist try this recipe: Finger Lickin Butter Chicken Pasta
- I also have for you a similar dish: Hot and Sour Soup
Put your own spin on it. And lemme know how it turns out and do take a few seconds to rate it! I would love to see your recreations so tag me on instagram @recipestable or Facebook (Recipestable) or on Twitter so I can see how lovely yours turn out.