Dhuwan Dahi Gosht (Smoked Yogurt Mutton)
Dhuwan Dahi Gosht is a smoked mutton curry in which mutton is cooked in a spicy onion and creamy yogurt based curry and then infused with the smoke released from a burning piece of charcoal. The charcoal is drizzled with oil or melted butter, which releases a very fragrant smoke which is trapped in the curry giving it a lovely earthy flavours. Coal smoke has its own aroma when its given into meaty dishes. The subtle flavor of this smoke gives the gravy a very distinct flavor which is very pleasing to the palate. This smoked yogurt mutton will tentalize your taste buds, prepare on Eid day or for weekend dinner. You can also make this recipe with beef or chicken instead of mutton. Goes great with garlic naan or plain naan.
Bismillah, let’s begin!
Check it out the Dhuwan Dahi Gosht Recipe and printable version below.
Dhuwan Dahi Gosht Recipe
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 1 kg yogurt
- 1/2 cup clarified butter or oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon corainder powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece coal
- few mint leaves chopped
- few fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 3 green chilies finely chopped
- Heat oil in a deep wok or pan over medium high heat. Saute onion for 4-5 minutes or until they turn light brown in color.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add mutton pieces and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Add red chili, salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and mix it well.
- Now cook it in its own water for few minutes.
- Beat yogurt with black pepper till it becomes creamy.
- When the mutton dries its own water then add yogurt mixture and cook it covered for 1 hour or until meat becomes tender.
- Remove the lid and cook on high flame for 4-5 minutes or until oil comes on top.
- Sprinkle with garam masala powder, mint leaves, coriander leaves and green chilies.
- Put a piece of bread in the middle of the pan and then put the burning coal on it.
- Drop a little bit of oil or butter on burning coal and cover the pan immediately for 3-4 minutes.
- Discard the coal.
- Transfer mutton in a serving dish. Dhuwan dahi Gosht is ready to serve.
Serve hot with naan, ring onion.
If you like this post, Please Subscribe to my blog and let me know your feedback by commenting below.. I have lots more recipes to share with you.