For all those out there that say a Vegetarian Lasagna can’t be as good as one made from meat, you’re wrong. So wrong.
Once you have a good lasagna recipe under your belt, you know you’re getting somewhere in the culinary world.
I will agree that lasagna needs a certain type of ‘meaty’ flavour, after all it was originally a meat dish. But that’s easily possible thanks to spelt grains or freekeh (very easy to find), which take on an amazing, smoky, deep flavour when cooked in stock. The pleasingly-chewy texture feels like the consistency of meat too, and is more than a replacement – it’s even better.
As much as I love Meaty lasagna, when I had a slice of this veggie version, I really didn’t miss the meat. And so I now have one thing to say – to the veggie haters, this is the best lasagna ever. Best. Lasagna. Ever.
Don’t believe me? That’s fine, taste is subjective anyway. But make your decision after you’ve tried it.
Just find ready made lasagna sheets and this great lunch or dinner dish bursting with carrot, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, pepper and herbs is all yours!
This Vegetarian Lasagna doesn’t require too much time, either. While water boils and noodles cook, you can get through making most of the vegetable sauce. Then, all you do is finish the sauce, assemble and bake for 30 minutes or so.
Bonus — I actually found this Vegetarian Lasagna is better the next day – score for make-ahead meals.
Here’s how I made mine yesterday, but keep in mind you can use any lasagna recipe you love! Just roll the cheesy filling inside the noodles as shown below, place them in a pan (small or large, depending on your needs), and top them with whatever sauce you want.
Check it out the Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe and printable version here!!
Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound box lasagna noodles
- 6 cups marinara sauce halal
- 24 ounces low-fat cottage cheese
- 32 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs basil, oregano, or thyme
- 2 eggplants cut into circular slices
- 6 zucchini cut lengthwise into slices
- 6 portobello mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 red onions thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute or oven-roast the vegetables until they are cooked through. Set aside.
- To make the marinara sauce, begin by heating the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and stir until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and add salt and pepper to taste, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In the bottom of a 16" x 12" pan, place a layer of dry noodles.
- On top of that, add about 1/3 of the marinara sauce, about 1/2 of the cottage cheese, and about 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle herbs over the top, and add a layer of vegetables. Repeat the process.
- Finish with a layer of noodles, then top with tomato sauce and a thick layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap, then wrap tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife pokes easily through the lasagna.
- Remove the plastic and foil and bake at 450° for 10 minutes, or until the top is browned.
- Remove lasagna from the oven and let set for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves or other fresh herbs. The most awesome Vegetarian lasagna ever is ready to serve.
You May Also Like
- Our Easy Cheesy Lasagna Recipe is so simple to make.
- These easy, cheesy Lasagna Rolls are addictive. They are perfect to serve with dinner or just as an afternoon snack.
Happy Dinner Making!!