I think it’s time that I take a quick break from the highly caloric Iftar snacks I’ve been posting about recently, and share a favorite healthy recipe. This Spicy Chickpea Salad (Chana Chaat) is a traditional Pakistani Iftar Staple. We love munching on it throughout the year, but it’s especially nice in the summer after a long day of fasting. Known as a salad in the West and a savory snack or “Chaat” in the East. This low-fat dish has traveled a long way from Pakistan to make its way onto Iftar tables in South Asia and lunch/dinner tables across the rest of the world.
The acidic and tart flavors of tamarind chutney, the sweetness of the apricot chutney and the cooling taste of mint chutney balances the palette out immaculately. A well made Spicy Chickpea Salad (or Chana Chaat) will enable you to taste all these flavors independently with each spoonful.
Playing around with food textures is also an important part of cooking, and creating this dish gives you that freedom with the crunchy onions, juicy tomatoes and soft chickpeas. Explore the art of South Asian cooking with this simple, low fat yet palette-exciting recipe.
Bismillah, let’s get started!
Check it out the Spicy Chickpea Salad (Chana Chaat) recipe and printable version below.
Spicy Chickpea Salad (Chana Chaat) Recipe
- 250 gm boiled chickpeas
- 4 large potatoes boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 to mato thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup Tamarind chutney Imli ki chutney
- 1/2 cup Apricot chutney
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Green chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder zeera powder
- a pinch of black salt
- papri optional
- few green chilies
- mint leaves
- Place chickpeas (chana) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vegetables except tomatoes and mix well, making sure not to mash the potatoes in the process.
- You can add green chilies depending on how spicy you want it.
- Now add yogurt and along with all the chutnies and mix well.
- Season with salt, cumin powder and chaat masala powder and give it a final stir.
- Garnish with green chilies and mint leaves. Spicy Chickpea Salad (Chana Chaat) is ready to serve. ENJOY!
1.You can add more spices if you want to make it spicier, but I love the mild version. Taste and adjust flavours according to your preference.
2. You can also add papri that will add extra crunch to the chaat which makes the whole experience more enjoyable. But for a low fat and healthy version, skip the papris and sev. Serving Suggesstions:
Serve chana chaat along with Apricot chutney and Tamarind chutney (Imli ki chutney) .
I have also posted Garbanzo Beans Chaat Recipe and Lobia Chaat which are another easiest & tastiest version of making Chana Chaat. Do check it out as well. It’s finger lickin’ good. You’ll be coming back for more.
Happy & Productive Ramadan!!
If you like this post, Please Subscribe to my blog and let me know your feedback by commenting below.. I have lots more recipes to share with you.