Try this Corned Beef recipe from a member of the Recipestable Community.
[one_third] Prep Time: 4 days [/one_third] [one_third]Cook Time: 1 hour[/one_third] [one_third_last] Servings: 8[/one_third_last]
[tabs type=”horizontal”] [tabs_head] [tab_title]Ingredients[/tab_title] [tab_title]Nutrition[/tab_title] [/tabs_head] [tab]
- 2 Kg tender beef from the `round` portion
- 1 kg table salt or powdered salt
- 50 gm saltpeter or lime salt, powdered
- 1 tbsp moist brown sugar
- Juice of 8 limes
- 2 tsp vinegar
[/tab] [tab]Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional information is not yet available. [/tab] [/tabs]
[tabs type=”horizontal”] [tabs_head] [tab_title]Step by Step Method[/tab_title] [tab_title]Serving Suggestions[/tab_title][/tabs_head] [tab]
- Wash and dry the meat well.
- Puncture holes all over it.
- Mix the salt, saltpeter and brown sugar together.
- Divide this mixture into 4 parts.
- Rub the beef all over with one portion of the salt mixture and juice of 2 limes.
- Turn the beef around so that the salt solution seeps into it well.
- Repeat this after every 2 hours rubbing it well several times during the day.
- Next morning remove from the old dish and place it on another dry dish, and rub into it the second portion of the prepared salt.
- Let it stand for an hour or so, then pour over it the remainder of the 2nd portion of the salt solution.
- Repeat the rubbing two or three times during the day, turning the beef continually.
- On the 3rd and 4th day repeat the procedure of placing in a fresh dish and rubbing the beef well with the 3rd and 4th portions of the prepared salt solutions and lime juice.
- On the 5th day boil or pressure cook the meat with all the residue of the salt solution for at least 1 hour on low heat.
- Cool and store.
- Corned Beef is ready.
- Use for sandwiches etc when required.