The recipe I am sharing today is a Family FAVORITE. All families have certain dishes they love to cook and eat. Mine goes gaga for these baby Chicken Breads! Put 12 dozen in front of them and they’ll still demand more. I am sure you will face the same situation with your siblings, cousins, random guests when you try these magical Baby Chicken Bread. (unless they are gluten intolerant. Oops)
I thought, I would share this FAMILY FAVORITE with everyone since so many Friends nd ClassFellows have asked for this recipe. Enjoy!
Baby Chicken Bread
Chicken bread is a classic of Pakistani bakeries and we served it at most of the tea parties as a staple here. This simple yet delicious bread is easy to make and full of flavor.
All you really need is a few basic ingredients: salt, flour, baking soda and yeast etc. The “trick” to achieving a perfect texture is not to over knead the dough and don’t over bake, as this will make it tough & hard, ugh not good! Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle a few sesame seeds. And voila! It’s ready to go in the oven for 25 minutes.
On weekend night, I decided to bake chicken bread from scratch and Just for a twist I made them in baby sizes.
Don’t ask me why I do these things. I’m not quite sure myself.
But you have to admit….they’re pretty darn cute.
So now that my kitchen is covered with Baby Chicken Breads, what should I do with them?
Of course, slathering them with hot pepper sauce and taking a big bite doesn’t count. I already did that. Twice.
This recipe is especially handy because it makes A LOT of Baby Chicken Breads (1-1/2 dozen to be exact). So they are the perfect, fuss-free party food. Easy to make, fun to eat.
Bismillah, Let’s get started!
Check it out the Baby Chicken Bread recipe and printable version below.
Baby Chicken Bread Recipe
For Baby Chicken Bread Dough
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoon dry powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg plus one for glazing
For Baby Chicken Bread Filling
- 2-1/2 cups boiled chicken shredded
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 4 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoon butter
- sesame seeds & flax seeds as required
To Make the Baby Chicken Bread Dough
- In a large mixing bowl combine the plain flour, salt, castor sugar, dry milk powder, instant yeast, oil and egg.
- Slowly mix in the lukewarm water with your hands till all the ingredients are mixed well and dough starts to form.
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes on a floured surface till the dough becomes smooth and is no longer sticky.
- Bang the dough on the floured surface 7-8 times for elasticity.
- Shape the dough in a large ball add place in a greased bowl.
- Brush the top lightly with some oil.
- Cover with a kitchen cloth and let the dough to rise somewhere warm until doubled in size, around 1 hour.
To make the Chicken Filling
- Meanwhile, Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry onion till soft and translucent.
- Now add 2 tablespoon plain flour and stir well.
- Season with salt , black pepper and garam masala powder.
- Stir in the milk and cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the shredded chicken add chopped green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Punch the dough to release air.
- Preheat oven at 200 degree C.
- Now divide the dough into 14-16 parts depending on how small you want the baby chicken bread to be.
- Roll each piece of dough to a rectangular shape.
- Snip the sides with a sharp knife and put chicken filling in the center.
- Fold each side so they overlap each other (like a braid) the filling will show slightly but that's ok.
- Brush top with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and flex seeds.
- Bake, in the preheated oven, for 25-30 minutes or until its turn golden brown.
- Right after taking out of the oven apply butter well on whole bread and let it rest covered with a cloth for 2-3 minutes to soften the bread completely.
- Delicious Baby Chicken Breads are ready to serve.
Voila! Enjoy your delicious bread with hot tea to the loving and deserving.
- I always make big batches of chicken bread at a go and then wrap them well in foil, then put them in some sort of a cellophane bag and tie it up tight and freeze.
- They can keep up to 4 weeks! When you need one, you just thaw it out overnight in the fridge or keep it out on the counter until it’s thawed out, then unwrap and then splash a little bit of water using your fingertips on it and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes to freshen it back up. Becomes as good as new!
If you like this post, Please Subscribe to my blog and let me know your feedback by commenting below.. I have lots more recipes to share with you.