Spicy Orange Beef made with juicy and tender slices of steak coated in an orange garlic-ginger sauce in just 30 minutes! Hints of orange and a touch of heat dress up a classic combination. This stir-fry is a good weekday dinner recipe.
No need to buy Chinese take out when it’s so quick and easy to make at home. This Spicy Orange Beef has a delicious flavor all its own and without a heavy coating of breading.There are three classic cooking methods for most takeout Chinese food. First is deep fried food with a breading like Sweet and Sour Chicken. Second is a pan fry with a cornstarch coating to keep the food crispy but without the breading like in this recipe. Third is your classic stir fry.
If you’ve ever wondered how Chinese food recipes get a crisp coating without the breading, the magic is usually a soak in soy sauce that is then coated in cornstarch. When the cornstarch is fried it gets very crispy and btw, delicious! My family enjoyed this recipe The sauce gets a rich flavor from the browned beef, and the orange marmalade really brightens the sauce. I reduced the red pepper flakes in the recipe below because it was too spicy for my family, and we like things spicy. If your family doesn’t like it very spicy, I would reduce it to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Some tips and tricks:
- If you don’t want to use orange marmalade you can swap out for some orange juice and zest.
- Don’t cook the steak for too long, it will get tough. High heat for a very short period of time on each side.
- Don’t crowd the pan. The beef needs to get crisp and if you add it at one time it’ll steam and get gummy instead.
- If you want a richer deeper sesame flavor, add a teaspoon of sesame oil in with the orange juice.
Here’s your go-to, foolproof, Spicy Orange Beef recipe you’ll never want to be without.
spicy orange beef recipe
- 1 lb boneless round beef steak
- 2 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 tbsp orange peel thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes crushed
- 4 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Rinse and drain beef steak.Trim all excess fat and cut into thin strips.
- In a bowl, combine cornflour, beef broth, soy sauce, vinegar, orange marmalade, salt and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Place beef strips in the pan. Stir-fry for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in ginger garlic paste and orange peel. Keep Stirring. Cook for 2 minutes then add broth mixture in it. Stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce is thickened. Spicy Orange Beef is ready to to serve.
Want More Chinese Food Recipes?