Ingredients for Saffron Roast Chicken:
- 1 chicken, about 1.6 kg
For saffron butter
- 50 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 packet saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil; 25 gm butter
- 450 gm onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp garam masala;
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 50 gm sultanas
How to make Saffron Roast Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Loosen the skin from the chicken breast by easing your fingers under the neck flap, over the breast and down to the legs, without puncturing the skin.
- Mix the ingredients for the saffron butter and spread evenly over the chicken breast under the skin.
- Secure the neck flap under the bird with a cocktail stick.
- Heat the oil and butter in a wide pan and deep fry the onions until softened.
- Add all the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sultanas, then transfer to a roasting dish and place the chicken on top, breast side down.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- Lower setting to 190C/ Gas 5 and turn the chicken breast side up.
- Stir the onions, piling some of the lighter ones on top of the chicken to keep it moist.
- Roast for a further 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are crisp.
Saffron Roast Chicken is ready to serve.
- Serve with Lemon Wedges.