If I ask what my brother wants for dinner, more than likely he will say “sandwiches/burgers.” This recipe is a twist on the usual burgers and packs a big taste punch with the pulled chicken, cheese and barbecue sauce. If you’re anything like me then a burger needs to be covered in cheese, ice-berg leaves, and many slices of olives and tomatoes.
Next time you’re craving a burger or sandwich, give this recipe a shot. It will become your new favorite! Your Dinner guests are guaranteed to be impressed with this deceptively easy Pulled Chicken Sandwich recipe, which includes a few-ingredient rub and a simple 15-minute sauce that comes together while the chicken oven baked.
Did I mention these sandwiches are braised in a special sweet and tangy sauce? Yep! It gives the chicken a deep, rich flavor that intensifies with age, so you can make the chicken a day ahead and your sandwiches will taste even better! Perfection!
You can serve this chicken in many ways, but I made them in sandwich form because, honestly, what man can resist a toasty bun piled high with tender, juicy pulled chicken, oodles of caramelized onions, tangy barbecue sauce and melty cheese? I can’t think of one! You can serve this on a sandwich as I did, or you can serve on tacos, nachos and burritos, Ole! I’m already thinking of the delicious ways I plan to use this in the future.
Bismillah, Let’s get started!
Check it out the Pulled Chicken Sandwiches recipe and printable version below.
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 500 gm boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- cooking spray
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red chili
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 burger buns toasted
- 4 slices Mozarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ice burg leaves
- tomato slices
- olives as required
To Make Chicken
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add ginger, garlic, hot sauce, paprika powder, cumin powder, black pepper and salt.
- Rub evenly over the chicken.
- Place chicken on an oven grill rack coated with cooking spray, and bake 20 minutes or until the chicken is nicely browned.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and shred with two forks and set aside.
To Prepare Sauce
- While chicken cooked, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent or, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, allspice and red chili.
- Cook for 30 seconds then stir in the apple cider vinegar and tomato ketchup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Now Stir in chicken and cook 2 more minutes.
To Make Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- Place iceberg lettuces and mozzarella slices on the bottom half of each bun.
- Divide chicken mixture into 4 equal portions and put it on cheese slices.
- Top each bun with grated cheese, tomato slices and olives.
- Cover with remaining bun. Delicious Pulled Chicken Sandwiches are ready to serve. ENJOY
Pin it For Later
If you like this post, Please Subscribe to my blog and let me know your feedback by commenting below.. I have lots more recipes to share with you.