If I ask what my brother wants for dinner, more than likely he will say “sandwiches/burgers.” This recipe is a twist on the usual burgers and packs a big taste punch with the pulled chicken, cheese and barbecue sauce. If you’re anything like me then a burger needs to be covered in cheese, ice-berg leaves, and many slices of olives and tomatoes.
Next time you’re craving a burger or sandwich, give this recipe a shot. It will become your new favorite! Your Dinner guests are guaranteed to be impressed with this deceptively easy Pulled Chicken Sandwich recipe, which includes a few-ingredient rub and a simple 15-minute sauce that comes together while the chicken oven baked.
Did I mention these sandwiches are braised in a special sweet and tangy sauce? Yep! It gives the chicken a deep, rich flavor that intensifies with age, so you can make the chicken a day ahead and your sandwiches will taste even better! Perfection!
You can serve this chicken in many ways, but I made them in sandwich form because, honestly, what man can resist a toasty bun piled high with tender, juicy pulled chicken, oodles of caramelized onions, tangy barbecue sauce and melty cheese? I can’t think of one! You can serve this on a sandwich as I did, or you can serve on tacos, nachos and burritos, Ole! I’m already thinking of the delicious ways I plan to use this in the future.
Bismillah, Let’s get started!
Check it out the Pulled Chicken Sandwiches recipe and printable version below.
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 500 gm boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground (black pepper)
- salt to taste
- cooking spray
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red chili
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 burger buns (toasted)
- 4 slices Mozarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- ice burg leaves
- tomato slices
- olives as required
To Make Chicken
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add ginger, garlic, hot sauce, paprika powder, cumin powder, black pepper and salt.
- Rub evenly over the chicken.
- Place chicken on an oven grill rack coated with cooking spray, and bake 20 minutes or until the chicken is nicely browned.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and shred with two forks and set aside.
To Prepare Sauce
- While chicken cooked, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent or, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, allspice and red chili.
- Cook for 30 seconds then stir in the apple cider vinegar and tomato ketchup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Now Stir in chicken and cook 2 more minutes.
To Make Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- Place iceberg lettuces and mozzarella slices on the bottom half of each bun.
- Divide chicken mixture into 4 equal portions and put it on cheese slices.
- Top each bun with grated cheese, tomato slices and olives.
- Cover with remaining bun. Delicious Pulled Chicken Sandwiches are ready to serve. ENJOY
Serve on buns, over fresh greens, or on top of a baked potato for a filling dinner. enjoy 🙂
Pin it For Later
Put your own spin on it. And lemme know how it turns out. Post a photo on Facebook (Recipestable) or on Twitter so I can see how lovely yours turn out.
If you like this post, Please Subscribe to my blog and let me know your feedback by commenting below.. I have lots more recipes to share with you.
Leave a Reply