A delicious and easy tea time snack for your friends and family. Fresh Parsley makes this traditional Potato Scotch egg recipe extra special.
Scotch eggs are one of those foods that have never gone out of favorite.I really love Scotch Eggs. Believe me this homemade potato scotch eggs are a world away from shop bought versions. They’re worth the effort for a special picnic treat. Packed with protein power, this summer fair favorite is easy to make in your home kitchen. Ready to eat in just 30 minutes, it makes a great start to the day, or a satisfying snack.
I have always been fascinated by Scotch eggs. I think they bring a little “wow” factor to any table. Scotch eggs are traditionally made with sausage meat wrapped around a hard boiled egg then breaded and deep fried. I wanted to shake up this UK savory treat with some Asian spices and do my own take on it. I decided instead of using a raw sausage meat, I would make a potato filling to wrap around the egg then bread it and deep fry it. I loved how these came out and they go perfectly with zeera rice and curry meal.
They also go well with a salad, bread, naan, etc… I think these beautiful eggs dress up any Asian or European table. If you are little worried about the size of the larger scotch eggs, I did make make a smaller version of this fun dish. I think the smaller version is actually a little more manageable to make and serve, although it doesn’t have the show-stopper look as the whole egg version when you cut them. Of course, both are equally tasty and fun and you will love to see them once they sit prettily on your table. Do try it, your kids will love it. Perfect for lunch box.
Check it out the Potato Scotch Eggs Recipe and printable version below!!
Potato Scotch Eggs
- 6 organic eggs
- 3 medium sized potatoes boiled
- 2 small dried red chilies cruhsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- salt according to taste
- 4 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg light beaten
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Cook 6 of the eggs for 6 minutes.
- Strain and leave to cool for 10 minutes in iced water.
- Then peel.
- Meanwhile, mash potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add parsley, soy sauce and red chili.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix until well combined.
- Shape the potato mixture around the boiled eggs; it could be 1 cm thick.
- Beat egg with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now coat the potato covered eggs first in the cornflour, then dip in the egg.
- Then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- Carefully drop the scotch eggs into the hot oil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.Cut them in half or quarters.
- Drizzle some ketchup before serving. Delicious Potato Scotch Eggs are ready to serve. Enjoy!!
2. You can also add any herb seasoning in potato mixture.
3. You can also make it with chicken mince etc.
If you like this Potato Scotch Eggs recipe, Please Subscribe to my blog. I have lots more recipes to share with you. And If you make it then let me know your feedback by commenting below.