Aslam-o-Alakaum My Lovelies !!
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
When you’re home alone and nobody has made dinner, what do you usually make for yourself to eat? To me dining alone, at home means you can really break all the rules. You Make Fish and Chips And go a bit overboard and make pasta salad. Cooking is my therapy and my cure all. Whipping up ingredients, the aroma of food, that first bite, the feeling that it has all come together just right is a balm like no other.
English-Style Fish and Chips
Fish n chips is the most popular English fast food. Traditionally battered fried fish is served with delicious potato chips, tartar sauce, mushy peas and lemon quarter to spice up the meal.
That fateful day, I craved some kind of fast food with all my being. I opened my freezer and was looking around for inspiration when some fish fillets caught my eye and I knew what was coming next. So, I decided to make Fish and Chips, and they turned out awesome! This English-Style Fish and Chips is gloriously indulgent. It is so good on it’s own, but I suspect it would be even better paired with some kind of salad. Super filling; a complete balanced meal all in one platter. Save yourself some time and money, and try this English-Style Fish and Chips, and quell those cravings!
The condiments are all up to you. You can serve it with any sort of sauce, however much you like.But I enjoyed it with veggie pasta salad.
If you want, I can put up a detailed post on this Veggie Pasta Salad next. Just let me know in the comments box below.
Bismillah, let’s begin!
Check it out the English-Style Fish and Chips recipe and printable version below.
English-Style Fish and Chips Recipe
- 500 gm cod fish fillets
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 cup chilled water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- salt to taste
- Oil for frying
For Potato Chips
- 500 gm potatoes
- 1/4 cornflour
- salt to taste
- Season the fish fillets with vinegar, salt and pepper and leave it for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the rice flour, baking powder, 1/4 cups of the plain flour, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Pour in the egg, lemon juice and sparkling water, and mix just to combine everything – you do not need to over-mix. Refrigerated this batter until ready for use.
- Place the remaining cup of flour in a wide bottomed bowl and dredge the fillets through the flour, coating them well on all sides. Then dip them into the batter, turning and swishing, to again ensure they are well coated all over.
- Deep fry fish fillets for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and puffed off.
- Once all the fillets are cooked, transfer them to a paper towel-lined large platter and pat them dry with more paper towels. Sprinkle with more salt, if desired.
- Peel potatoes then cut into 1/4-inch thick chips.
- Blanch the potato sticks, in batches if necessary, in the boiling water. About 2 minutes should do it.
- Strain well and pat dry on paper towel.
- Sprinkle cornflour over them and season with some salt.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Fry potato chips for 10 minutes or until crispy ad golden. Fish n Chips are ready to serve. ENJOY!!
Serve Fish and Chips with lemon wedges along with tarter sauce.
I have also posted Crumb Fried Fish Recipe which is another easiest & tastiest version of making Fried Fish. Do check it out as well.
If you like this post, Please Subscribe to my blog and let me know your feedback by commenting below.. I have lots more recipes to share with you.