Moong Dal Paratha
For the Filling:
- 3/4 cup yellow split moong dal (soaked for 30 minutes)
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped green chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp dry mango powder
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
For the Dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Water to knead the dough
- Oil or ghee for cooking
How to make Dal Paratha:
For the Filling:
- Soak the moong dal for 30 minutes.
- Once soaked, steam the moong dal for about 25 minutes until cooked, draining all excess water.
- Once steamed and cooked,allow it to cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the dal and mix it until it becomes like a ball of mass.
- Divide it into 12- 15 equal portions.
- Set aside.
For The Dough:
- Add flour and salt in a large bowl, adding little water at a time to make soft, pliable dough.
- Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic.
- Add 1 tsp oil to coat the dough and knead little more.
- The dough will be soft and non sticky.
- Set aside covered for 10 minutes.
- Make 12- 15 lemon sized balls of the dough and roll them out thin to approximately 3 inches in diameter.
- Note tossing the dough in dry flour while rolling will prevent it from getting sticky when rolling them out.
- Add a portion of the stuffing in the center. Gather the sides and bring them together, as shown in the picture.
- Remove the little excess dough which popped out when you brought them together.
- Press the stuffed dough down. Toss it in some flour and roll it gently applying just even pressure to roll.
- Roll it to desired thickness and your comfort level in rolling.
- Place the stuffed parathas on the hot griddle/skillet.
- Cook for about 1/2 a minute, flip over and add 1 teaspoon of oil/ ghee in and around the paratha.
- Keep pressing the parathas while on the skillet so the dough gets cooked and the stuffing also gets the heat and gets pressed down into the parathas.
- Flip and cook the other side for about 1 minute adding 1 more teaspoon of oil.
- Cook until light golden spots appear on the parathas.
- Dal Paratha is ready to serve.
Leave a Reply