Chocolate Mousse Cake
This rich and decadent Chocolate mousse cake is the ultimate CHOCOLATY DELIGHT. Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and topped off with dark chocolate ganache. Must Try this Chocolate Mousse Cake recipe; everyone will think you bought it at a bakery!
Check it out the Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe here!!
[one_fourth]Prep Time:4 hours[/one_fourth] [one_fourth]Cook Time:30 minutes[/one_fourth] [one_fourth]Servings: 8[/one_fourth] [one_fourth_last]Difficulty Level: Medium[/one_fourth_last]
[tabs type=”horizontal”] [tabs_head] [tab_title]Ingredients[/tab_title] [tab_title]Nutrition[/tab_title] [/tabs_head] [tab]
For Cake Sponge
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder,unsweetened
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Chocolate Mousse
- 1-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, crushed
- 6 tablespoon icing sugar
- 3 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate,chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For Cake Decoration:
- Hazelnuts or walnuts
- chocolate curls
[/tab] [tab]Yield: 1 – 9 inch cake
Nutritional information is not yet available. [/tab] [/tabs]
[tabs type=”horizontal”] [tabs_head] [tab_title]Step by Step Method[/tab_title] [tab_title]Recipe Note’s[/tab_title][tab_title]Serving Suggestions[/tab_title][/tabs_head] [tab]
To Make Cake Sponge
Heat oven to 350 degree F.
Grease and flour two (9-inch) round baking pans.
In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Add milk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir with spatula for few minutes or until the batter is smooth and no lumps remain.
Now add baking soda and mix well.
Stir in the boiling water.
Pour batter equally into prepared baking pans.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth-pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let it cool for 10 minutes then remove from the pans
to wire racks.
Allow to cool completely.Chocolate Cake Sponge is ready 🙂
To Make The Chocolate Mousse:
Meanwhile cake is oven, let’s prepare the Chocolate Mousse.
Place heavy cream in a large bowl. Beat for 10-12
minutes or until it forms stiff peaks.
Place in the refrigerator until set.
Take a small bowl, add egg yolk and sugar in it. Beat 3-4 minutes or until it becomes thick and pale in color and the sugar fully dissolved.
Take a small pan and fill it with an inch of water.
Bring it to a simmer.
Place a small heat-proof bowl over the saucepan.
Add the chocolate, water, and butter. Stir and cook on very low heat for few minutes or until the chocolate is melted.
Spoon 1/4 of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk
mixture. Stir until well combined.
Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the small bowl over the simmering water in the saucepan with the remaining chocolate mixture.
Stir in the vanilla extract.
Keep stirring and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Let it cool for few minutes; stirring frequently.
Place egg whites in another small bowl. Beat until it forms stiff peaks.
Fold the egg white in the cooled chocolate mixture.
Now fold into the whipped heavy cream.
Note: Be careful not to over mix otherwise the heavy cream will lose its texture.
To Assemble The Cake
Cut the top dome texture of the cake sponges. This will help you to get a flat and even surface.
Arrange the bottom layer of the cake in the spring form pan.
Pour the thick chocolate mousse over the cake sponge.
Spread evenly with a spatula.
Now cover the pan with cling wrap or any plastic covering.
Place the pan in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until set.
Remove the pan and gently place the second cake sponge on top of the mousse.
Cover again and keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm or set.
To Make Chocolate Ganache
Place the chocolate in a medium bowl.
Heat the heavy cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
Bring just to a boil.
When the cream has come to a boil, immediately pour over the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth.
Stir in the 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
Let it cool slightly.
When cool, pour the chocolate ganache in the the center of the cake, it will slowly spread itself.
Finally, cover the cake and refrigerate overnight or until the cake sets.
To Decorate The Chocolate Mousse Cake:
When the cake has set, decorate the cake with chocolate curls and hazelnuts or walnuts.
Slide the cake out of the pan and transfer to a cake plate. Mouthwatering Chocolate Mousse Cake is ready to eat!! ENJOY 😉
- Tip To Assemble the Cake: You will need a spring-form pan or a cake ring to hold everything neatly as the cake sets. So that you can later easily un-mold your cake once the mousse has set without ruining the delicate layers. If you don’t have a spring-form or cake ring, you can do this in a regular pan, make sure it is the same size as your cake. Serving out of a regular pan can be a bit tricky though as it will be hard to lift out the cake neatly with that soft creamy mousse in the middle.
- Tip To Make Chocolate Mousse: If you want the mousse layer to show neatly and evenly through the cake, take an offset spatula or cut out a small rectangular piece off a tetra pack or hard paper and run it over the mousse around the circumference of the cake to remove the excess mousse, and give it a smoother finish.
- Tip To Decorate The Cake: You can top the cake with whipped cream, cherries any type of nuts or leave it as is.
- Tip To Make Chocolate Ganache: While making Chocolate ganache,don’t over boil the cream because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot.
- Tip To Make Thicker Ganache: If you want a thicker consistency for piping the ganache, just let it cool for a longer time.
- Serve as a dessert after any meal or birthday party or any other special occasion.
If you like Chocolate Mousse Cake recipe and make it then let me know your feedback by commenting below.