- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sweet potato starch
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp 5 spice powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- oil for frying
How to make Chinese Fried Chicken:
- To prep the chicken breasts, butterfly them, and pound them with a meat pounder until they’re evenly flat.
In a large bowl, mix minced garlic, soy sauce, soy sauce , sugar, half of the 5 spice powder, white pepper.
- Marinate the chicken in this sauce overnight.
Next day, add egg yolk and corn starch into the marinated chicken and mix it well.
- This is what keeps the coating from separating from the chicken.
On a plate, mix sweet potato starch, rest of the 5 spice powder, and garlic powder.
- This is the coating for the fried chicken.
Place the marinated chicken breasts on the plate one by one and coat it completely with the mix.
- Let it sit for about 5 mins before frying so that the sweet potato starch has time to stick onto the chicken.
Heat a pot of frying oil under medium heat.
- Make sure the oil is not bubbling or else it will cook the meat too fast.
- If you’re using a deep fryer, do not exceed 160 C or 320 F.
Fry the chicken until golden brown and remove from the oil.
- Turn the heat to high or around 180 C or 360 F.
- Dip the fried chicken back in to the hot oil for about 10 seconds to give it crispiness.
- Place it on a metal rack to drain out the excess oil, then cut it up to serve.
- Chinese Fried Chicken is ready to serve.
- Serve hot.
Leave a Reply