Spice up your next dinner party with this Flavorful Mint Chicken Curry. Simple, Mild yet Flavorful Chicken curry with fresh mint and yogurt to shake up your weeknights! This Flavorful Mint Chicken Curry Recipe is ultra-easy to whip up on a weeknight, and completely customizable with your favorite seasonings. A nice change from the usual red curries, perfect with naan or rice.
Truth be told – the curry and rice thing is probably my favorite type of food. Coriander, Basil, & Mint Leaves are hands down my favorite herbs of all time. If I could have the herb garden of my dreams, I would plant Mint and Basil everywhere!!
While most of the Pakistani dishes that I cook require coriander as garnish, for this dish, the mint herb paste forms the backbone of the sauce. The combination of fresh coriander and mint makes the dish light and fragrant and gently simmering the chicken in the creamy yogurt ensures that you end up with juicy morsels of meat.
Please make sure that you use the tender , young leaves of Mint in this dish – the harder, older leaves will most probably end up making the dish taste bitter.
This chicken curry bursts with flavors of mint and creamy yogurt and is bound to make you and your guests happy. The spice level of this dish will vary depending on your taste. I used just 2 green chilies and a pinch of cayenne pepper in this curry to make a mild, family-friendly dish. For more heat, you can add a drizzle of red pepper, some of the seeds of the jalapeño, or some crushed green chilies.
This is a quick and simple recipe to prepare using ingredients that I always have on hand. Less is more – focus on the true tastes by using fewer ingredients. Flavorful and very easy to prepare, this recipes will make your weeknight dinners stress-free . Do try it!
Bismillah let’s get started.
First, You will need some boneless chicken. I prefer the breast because you get some super fine chunks out of it. But you can make both curries with bone-in pieces or boneless pieces of chicken. Obviously, boneless chicken will cook faster, and is my choice when I want to cook a quick curry. BUT, a GOOD chicken curry uses bone-in chicken pieces because the bones flavor the gravy/sauce.
In a blender, pour 1/2 cup of yogurt yogurt, 1 small bunch of mint leaves, coriander leaves, green pepper, garlic ginger paste, cumin powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and squeezed lemon. Blend until well combined and put in the chicken; Cover and let it marinate for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
You can marinade the chicken for a few hours or even overnight. If you really are in a rush, you can even cook the chicken straight away.
Heat the oil over medium-low heat in a large nonstick pan.
Then add the marinated chicken along with the marination. Cook and stir for 10 minutes on medium flame. Then cover and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken becomes soft .
Remove the lid and cook on high flame for just few minutes or until sauce is thickened or all water dries up. ( Make sure to not over cook it will ruined the mint taste).
Taste and adjust seasoning with more lemon, green chili or pepper, if necessary. This Flaovrful Mint Chicken Curry is delicious with anything. We ate it with boiled rice but it is just as good with really soft naan bread.
Check it out The Flavorful Mint Chicken curry Recipe and printable version here!!
The Flavorful Mint Chicken Curry Recipe
- 500 gm boneless chicken breast
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1- inch piece of ginger
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Cut chicken breast into bite sized pieces.
- In a blender, Make a smooth paste of yogurt, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilies, ginger and garlic.
Take it out in a mixing bowl, Add lemon juice, cumin powder, coriander powder, cayene powder and salt. Give it a good stir and get the chicken pieces coated evenly.
- Marinate chicken at least for 30 minutes to blend flavors.You can marinade the chicken for a few hours or even overnight. If you really are in a rush, you can even cook the chicken straight away
Cover the bowl tightly with clingfilm.
- Heat oil in a deep wok or pan.
- Then add the marinated chicken along with the marination.
- Cook for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Chicken will release lot of juices. So, after 10 minutes cook the chicken on its own juices for another 15 minutes or until it becomes tender.
- If curry becomes dry add a splash of water.
- Increase the flame and cook on high flame for 2-3 minutes until curry is thickened.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and turn off the flame. (Do not over cook)
- Dish it out and Serve Mint Chicken Curry with Rice.
Consider serving this with:
More Chicken Curry inspiration:
- Chicken Nihari
- Chutney Chicken
- Boneless Chicken Handi
- Chicken with Cumin (Zeera Chicken Curry)
- Desi Chicken Curry
- Murgh Cholay (Chicken and Chickpea Curry)
- Dhuwan Dahi Chicken (Smoky Yogurt Chicken Curry)
- Chicken Shorba(Pakistani Stew )