Gajar ka Zarda is wonderful dish. The addition of nuts are amazing. It’s a sweet rice dish.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 kg basmati rice
- 1/2 kg sugar
- 5 green cardamom
- 1/2 cup clarified butter or ghee
- 250 gm carrots, peeled & grated
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp almonds, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp pistachio, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut, thinly sliced
- Rinse rice with few change of water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Boil rice salt and water as required until tender.
- Then drain all excess water.
- Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a deep skillet.
- Add green cardamoms, sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Now add yogurt and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add boiled rice.
- Stir well.
- Cover with a lid and cook till sugar syrup nearly dries off.
- Place grated carrots in it.
- Mix well.
- Cover and leave it on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Take it out in a serving dish.
- Garnish with almonds, pistachios and coconut.
- Gajar ka Zarda is ready to serve.
- Serve as a after meal dessert.